The coverage that you receive for damages and injuries as the result of a car accident is going to vary depending on who was at fault. Here's what is likely to happen in the event that you are at fault for the accident:
- Medical Bills for Other Driver Paid by Your Bodily Injury Coverage: If the driver received injuries as a result of the accident, your insurance is going to cover it only up to the limit on your bodily injury coverage. Once the cost passes this, you must pay out of pocket if the driver decides to sue. If you feel that the driver is asking for too much, you can hire an auto accident attorney to help you settle the claim so that it is reasonable.
- Your Medical Bills Paid by Health Insurance and Medical Insurance Through Your Auto Insurance: Since you have health insurance, you might not have additional medical insurance added onto your auto insurance policy. However, if you do, they will work together to cover your medical bill costs up to their limits.
- Property Damage Coverage Pays Damage to Driver's Vehicle: The damage that is done to the other driver's vehicle is going to be paid by your property damage coverage up to the limit. In this instance, you want to be sure that your insurance receives an estimate for repairs from the driver's auto repair shop so that you are not paying out of pocket if it's not necessary.
- Collision Coverage Pays for Damage to Your Car: Having collision coverage is definitely helpful financially in these unfortunate circumstances. Unfortunately, not everyone chooses to have collision coverage added to their policy. If this is the case, then you will have to pay for damage to your vehicle on your own.
- Comprehensive Coverage Pays for Rental Car: If you are in need of a rental car because your car is so badly damaged, your comprehensive coverage will usually coverage this. However, just like collision coverage, not everyone chooses to have comprehensive coverage added to their policy, in which case you will have to pay for the rental car on your own.
When you know how the insurance coverage works in the event of a car accident you have caused, you can be sure that you understand what you are paying for and when you possibly need to hire an auto accident attorney to protect you financially.